warning Hi, we've moved to USCANNENBERGMEDIA.COM. Visit us there!

Neon Tommy - Annenberg digital news

Ferguson Police Refuse To Name Shooter After Laying Siege To City

Will Federman |
August 12, 2014 | 8:57 a.m. PDT


After a day of nonviolent protests, Ferguson Police Chief Thomas Jackson has rescinded his vow to release the name of the police officer who shot and killed 18-year-old Michael Brown. Jackson had previously told the media he would release the name of the office by 12 p.m. today, if he could "reach the officer to notify him."

SEE ALSO: FBI Investigates Teen Killed By Police

The about-face comes after Ferguson police laid siege to the small city Monday evening, ordering media out of the area and blocking residents from their homes with tear gas. It was the third night of civil unrest, following a violent Sunday evening that led to 32 arrests and two officers injured.

Ferguson, Missouri has been in a near constant state of protest after Brown was shot dead by a police officer on Aug. 9. Authorities say Brown was killed after trying to grab the officer's firearm, but that version conflicts with almost every other eyewitness account that claims the teenager was unarmed and had his hands in the air.

SEE ALSO: Protests Continue In Ferguson, Mo. After Police Kill Unarmed Black Teen

Belmar cited security concerns behind his decision to not release the officer's name, but the only injuries visible during yet another night of protests were from civilians hit with non-lethal weapons. Police did suffer a blow when the hacker collective Anonymous released St. Louis County Police Chief Jon Belmar's home address, personal number and names of immediate family members on social media.

On Monday, peaceful demonstrators were greeted with assault rifles, combat gear and rubber bullets as night fell on the small city of over 21,000. Police fired tear gear indiscriminately at journalists, threw a six-months pregnant woman on the ground and were caught aiming assault weapons at unarmed civilians.

Jackson said tear gas and beanbag rounds were used after officers heard gunfire in a crowd of demonstrators, according to USA Today. But neither national reporter from the New York Times or the Los Angeles Times mentioned any shots fired before the unbelievable show of of force.

St. Louis County police arrested 11 to 15 people throughout Monday evening, according to the Times' Julie Bosman. Protests are expected to continue today.


Reach Editor-in-Chief Will Federman here. And follow him on Twitter.



Craig Gillespie directed this true story about "the most daring rescue mission in the history of the U.S. Coast Guard.”

Watch USC Annenberg Media's live State of the Union recap and analysis here.