Feds Have Justification To Hold "Innocence Of Muslims" Film Permit
Federal agencies have told Los Angeles County officials to pull the permit for the anti-Islam film "Innocence of Muslims" from public view, according to the Los Angeles Times.
Film permits are usually available on the Internet through the nonprofit group FilmLA.
Alonzo Wickers IV, a partner at the Davis Wright Tremaine law firm, said that in this case the government officials probably have justification to pull the permit from public view, in light of the international anti-American unrest taking place especially in Yemen, Egypt and Libya, where the U.S. ambassador was killed Tuesday.
Wickers said he can't imagine that the current situation will justify an indefinite hold on the film permit from public view, since the unrest around the world will eventually stabilize and public interest in the origin of the anti-American protests will outweigh the government's concerns about safety.
Most of the information available on the permit will also likely become known by the time the permit is eventually released, Wickers said, as people who were involved in the making of the film have already begun speaking publicly.
Wickers's firm consult a number of media outlets, including the Los Angeles Times, who were denied access to the permit when they requested to see it earlier in the week.
Media outlets are unlikely to bring the issue to court, Wickers said, because lawsuits would take months to finish and by that time the permit will likely be released anyway.
For now, the government seems to be trying to figure out what's going on exactly with the international violence as it relates to the film, and are being cautious in withholding the permit, Wickers said.