"Gossip Girl" 100th Episode: Top 10 Moments
Still nursing a drama hangover? Can’t blame you. No cup of coffee can calm the raging aftermath of the wedding of Queen B. Looks like happily ever after just became happily never after. And while one princess is on the run, I’m still here to catch you up on all the latest drama. But first, a toast to all you fans. “Gossip Girl” may have made it to its 100th episode, but the higher honors belong to all of you, staying with it through all the Park Avenue pandemonium. S could learn a thing about loyalty from you. If you’re just tuning in now – great timing. In honor of GG’s centennial, I’m taking the square root of all the scandal and giving you Monday night’s top 10 moments – the good, the bad, and the catastrophic.
1. The Love Polygon. So. Louis is in love with Blair, who is in love with Chuck, who is in love with Blair, who is besties with Dan, who is also in love with Blair. And none for Gretchen Wieners… I mean Serena Van Der Woodsen. Quite the role reversal from the beginning of the series when B was always living in S’s shadow. Serena pines away for Lonely Boy Dan though, and before the hour is up professes her never ending love for him – regardless of their past failed relationships, the fact that his father is married to her mother, or that their shared sibling makes them seem too related for a romance not to be creepy. This leads perfectly into…
2. The Dream Sequence. Turns out Serena’s slumber alter ego is Marilyn Monroe. Bombshell blonde who eats boys like gourmet French pastries for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It fits. She looked stunning recreating Marilyn’s iconic performance of “Diamonds Are a Girl’s Best Friend.” And even though she was channeling “Gentlemen Prefer Blondes,” this sentiment was false for dream Dan who fled up the stairs with B’s sleepytime alter ego Audrey. And just like that, Serena’s dream in the spotlight dissolved into a nightmarish reality. Still, the most entertaining part of the whole dream sequence for this reporter was watching GG’s trifecta of masculine eye candy, Penn Badgley, Ed Westwick, and Chace Crawford, getting their Fred Astaire on and being choreographed along with a chorus of other male dancers. So entertaining.
3. Blair’s Dress. So this isn’t exactly a moment in the episode as much as a costume. But costume is too lowly of a word to describe the dress which, as bridesmaid #2 Penelope suggested, should be donated to the Smithsonian. Just look at the Vera Wang stunner here. (And check out a video with Vera's commentary on all the dresses here.)
4. Eleanor’s Impromptu Wedding Gift. Realizing something was off key about her daughter’s wedding day, Mama Waldorf sought out none other than Chuck Bass to save the day. Who else’s jaw slammed to the floor when she walked through the door of Chuck’s apartment, pleading with him to win her daughter’s heart once and for all? Truly epic.
5. Wedding Crashers On Crack. Literally though, who wasn’t out to ruin Blair’s wedding Monday night? Eleanor told her to be with Chuck. Serena told her to be with Chuck. Chuck told her to be with Chuck. It seems this is even what Gossip Girl wanted when she aired footage of Blair professing her love to Mr. Bass to everyone in the chapel. Awkward.
6. GEORGINA. Speaking of trying to ruin Blair’s wedding, this wicked witch of the upper west side blew into the wrong part of town wearing the most hideous hat that must have been GG’s homage to the headwear sported by Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie in another royal wedding this past summer. Spewing pithy one-liners like a Dr. Seuss character, Georgina took the destruction of Blair’s nuptials into her own hands. She was effective, serving our princess bride with a cold hard dish of revenge. It was none other than Georgina, of course, who taped B’s confession of love to Chuck, but who exactly sent it to Gossip Girl? More on that later.
7. The Heartbreak of Mr. Bass. Despite all of her clever insults, that Mother Chucker, Chuck Bass was still Blair’s one and only. But after attempting to run away with him, resulting in a car crash which took not only the life of her unborn baby but, almost Chuck’s too, Blair realized the heavens above just didn’t want them together. She made a pact with God, a trade in some ways, to let Chuck live if she was never with him. He begged her to run away with him, stared at her as she said her vows so she knew what she was giving up; Mr. Bass was so over being mature about this anymore. Chair shippers were probably beside themselves at this point. But none of this was enough, and Blair said those two little words no one thought she would.
8. I do. She went through with it! Blair married Prince Louis. She said those two little words that delivered her from Upper East Side royalty to the real deal. Princess Blair Grimaldi of Monaco. Not even Gossip Girl’s blast could deter this princess bride. Happily ever after time now??
9. Royal Rejection. Blair was nothing less than elated during her first dance with Louis, relieved to have finally gotten married, probably thinking the worst was behind her. False. The worst was right in front of her face – her dancing partner to be exact. Louis coldly and cruelly informed his bride that their marriage was from now on nothing more than for show. He married her because it was the best way to save face in such a humiliating situation. To the public eye they would be the very image of a happy couple, but behind closed doors they would be nothing but strangers. He didn’t actually expect Blair to accept this right? I mean seriously, this girlie has more men pining over her than Helen of Troy – why should she stay with one who is cruel to her? So, Blair does what any logical bride would do in this situation – get the hell out of it. After a mystery call, she ran out of the reception and into the car of none other than … Dan Humphrey! Dair for the win! For now.
10. The Biggest Reveal For Last. For the past 5 seasons, viewers have been teased by the voice of the Upper East Side’s most notorious, and up until Monday night, anonymous blogger. But we were in for much more of a treat as Gossip Girl was revealed to be …. Wait for it…. Any guesses yet?…. Close your eyes now if you don’t want to know….. Georgina!! It is a theory that has been speculated upon before, considering the double placement of one incriminating consonant in GeorGina’s name, but during this episode it was confirmed that Georgina is Gossip Girl….or one of them. Hitting the rewind button for a few episodes, Gossip Girl was put out of business after blame fell on her for provoking Chuck and Blair’s accident, and with the growing popularity of Nate’s “Not-Tabloid” Spectator. So, when she reappeared tonight marking B’s big day as her first post back, it is a little hasty to assume that it has been Georgina all along, and that she isn’t just taking over realizing an opportunity to deal out some major damage to the in-crowd who burned her a few too many times.
Gossip Girl’s landmark 100th episode left big Manolo’s to fill for coming episodes, packing heartbreak, humor, hope, and hysterics into one forty-something minute episode. Next week viewers will catch up with Dan and Blair doing their Thelma and Louise best on the run from Louis, and probably anyone else they pissed off by running away together, which would be just about everyone. So, rest up until next week because in the city that never sleeps, the drama doesn’t either. But that’s why you know you love her, xoxo, Gossip Girl.
Still reeling? Here's an interview at EW with producers Josh Safran and Stephanie Savage about Monday night's biggest twists and whats coming next.
Check out the promo for next week's episode below:
Reach writer Kelly Hanelt here