Madison's Juicy Sports Stories, Featuring Chris Cooley's Drunken Pottery Making
1. NFL Players are working out, vacationing, and doing other sorts of things during the lockout, but Washington Redskins tight end Chris Cooley has spent most of the lockout making ceramic pieces. "I love pottery. I’ve always loved pottery," Cooley said.
Terez Owens discovered that Cooley has made hundreds of pieces, with three in preparation for his first public gallery showing. "I think I've made about 700 pieces since Dec. 3," Cooley said. "I'm drunk at every opening. We go to Safeway, grab some wine and beer, have live music, just have a good, old time." I guess to each his own. I always like to see athletes with a creative side.
2. Gloria James might be becoming more infamous than her son. According to the Miami Beach Police Department, LeBron James's mother, Gloria, has been arrested for misdemeanor assault and public intoxication. She was taken into custody Thursday morning after an incident at the Fontainebleau Hotel in Miami Beach. She is being accused of hitting a valet at the hotel after she became furious over how long she had to wait to get her car.
Looks like Gloria decided to take her talents to South Beach...County Jail.
3. Early Friday morning, Manny Ramirez announced his retirement from Major League Baseball. After failing another drug test for performance-enhancing drugs, Manny was set to face a 100-game suspension. Manny was off to a very slow start this year at 1-for-17, and rumors swirled that the Rays were considering cutting him. Since this was likely his last year anyway, it appears he decided to simply walk away and not face the scrutiny.
It is a truly sad ending to an absolutely amazing career, as he will go down as one of the best right-handed hitters of all-time. This Dodger fan will remember "Mannywood" and the .400 batting average and incredible production in the last two months of the 2009 season in Los Angeles. I think speak for all baseball fans when I say I will miss Manny Being Manny.
4. Ravens WR Derrick Mason has never shied away from displaying his emotions or thoughts. Whether it's sideline fighting with his QB, or calling out opposing players in the media (usually Steelers players), Mason is always outspoken. He recently sounded off on Roger Goodell wanting HGH testing in the new collective bargaining agreement.
"He needs to stop crying about blood tests and HGH," Mason said recently. "He needs to try to get a deal done, that's what he needs to do. He's been on this crusade about HGH, but he needs to be on a crusade about getting these owners together and trying to work out a deal.
"To me, he’s a joke, because every time I look, he’s talking about performance enhancements instead of talking about trying to figure out a way to make sure football is played in August."
I think Goodell should be focused on ending the lockout instead of drug testing, but Mason's comments are definitely harsh. But hey, I guess Harbaugh has taught his "dirty birds" to play hard and mean even when your opponent is the commissioner.
5. Following the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing, Spain's Ricky Rubio became the talk of the NBA Draft. The Minnesota Timberwolves thought so highly of him that they took the point guard with the 5th overall pick.
After nearly two years of "will he or won't he" speculation, we may finally be able to see Spanish sensation in the NBA. Rubio has been playing for FC Barcelona for the past two seasons. The 20-year-old has threatened to stay in Spain because of the grim future in Minnesota, due to GM David Kahn's questionable moves.
Rubio has four more years left on his contract with FC Barcelona, but there is a buyout after this year, giving Rubio the option to head across the pond to Minnesota if he chooses to do so. Knowing the Wolves, they’ll probably draft another point guard this year.
To reach Madison Besser by email, click here.