Lindsay Lohan Drops The Lohan: Top 10 One-Name Celebs
Lindsay’s mother, Dina, confirmed that Lindsay was in fact in the process of legally dropping her famous last name. Not only is Lindsay cutting ties with her estranged father, Michael, but Dina and their other daughter, Ali, intend to change their surnames to Sullivan, Dina’s maiden name.
Lindsay joins the ranks of countless other celebrities who have taken on a mononym. Here are the top ten one-name celebrities:
1. Oprah: She was born Orpah Gail Winfrey, but family and friends mispronounced the name and it stuck. As her popularity grew, her name became simply Oprah.
2. Kanye: He was born Kanye Omari West and rose to fame as a producer and musical artist. Although he still performs and produces under the name of Kanye West, his name is recognizable as just Kanye.
3. Ke$ha: She was born Kesha Rose Sebert and released her songs under the stylized name, Ke$ha. Or as Principal Figgins from Glee would say “Ke-dollar sign-ha.”
4. Madonna: She was born Madonna Louise Ciccone and exploded onto the scene in 1980s with the release of her self-titled debut album, Madonna.
5. Drake: He was born Aubrey Drake Graham and acted under the name Aubrey Graham on Degrassi: The Next Generation, but he launched his music career under the mononym, Drake.
6. P!nk: She was Alecia Beth Moore and was encouraged to break off from her R&B group by producer L.A. Reid and embark on her solo career. Shortly after she adopted her stage name based off the character Mr. Pink in Resevoir Dogs. She later stylized her name with the trademark "!" in place of the "i."
7. Diddy: He was born Sean John Combs, but became well-known under his stage name of Puff Daddy, later shortened to P. Diddy. Then in 2005, P. Diddy announced he was dropping the “P” on the Today show saying “the P was getting between me and my fans.”
8. Cher: She was born Cherilyn Sarkisian, she dropped her married last name “Bono” after embarking on her solo career and divorcing Sonny Bono of the famous Sonny and Cher.
9. Sting: He was born Gordon Matthew Thomas Sumner and adopted the name Sting after a former band member said he looked like a bee after he wore a yellow and black sweater to a gig.
10. Beyonce: She was born Beyonce Giselle Knowles and rose to fame as the lead singer of Destiny’s Child, but once her solo career took off her last name disappeared.
Other famous one-named celebrities include Aretha, Rhianna, Usher, Eminem, Elvis, Jewel, Prince, Bono and Fergie.
Reach Ali here.