Gaddafi's Son Rumored Dead While Western Attacks Continue On Tripoli
The reports are being denied by both the Libyan government and some media organizations, but an Arabic newspaper has been reporting Khamis’ death.
From NewsDay New Zealand:
Khamis, Gaddafi’s sixth son, was reportedly injured on Saturday when a Libyan Air Force pilot purposefully crashed his jet into the Bab al-Aziziya compound in Tripoli where Gaddafi and some of his relatives are staying.
Khamis was reported to have died of burn wounds sustained during the attack. He was the commander of the Khamis Brigade, a Special Forces brigade which is fiercely loyal to his father.
Reports of the attack come on the heels of rumors that western leaders have been discussing assassinating Gaddafi himself.
From The Sun:
Prime Minister David Cameron was forced to publicly over-rule top brass to insist he may go after the Libyan Mad Dog.
It came as the international coalition also began to wobble on what to do about Gaddafi, 67 - with the US siding with our military chiefs against assassinating him.
The row was sparked by Defence Secretary Liam Fox branding the tyrant "a legitimate target" on Sunday.
Hours later Dr Fox tasked a Royal Navy sub and RAF Tornado jets to blast Gaddafi's own compound.
President Obama also discussed ousting Gaddafi today in Chile, but insisted the United States and other western forces are sticking to UN Resolution 1973.
"Our military action is in support of an international mandate from the Security Council that specifically focuses on the humanitarian threat posed by Colonel Gadhafi's people," Obama said at a news conference here.
Obama alluded to the fact that U.N. Resolution 1973 passed on Thursday restricts the U.S. and its allies from seeking regime change and directly ousting Gadhafi from power.
But, he noted, "Now, I also have stated that it is U.S. policy that Gadhafi needs to go."
But Obama said he's still hopeful that other "tools" the administration has used, such as freezing billions in Libyan assets, will eventually help the Libyan people push Gadhafi out.
Meanwhile, airstrikes and gunfire continued to light up the skies over Tripoli as western forces continue to carry out attacks on Libyan targets. Though it was reported that air defense targets were hit, rebel leaders said the attacks weren’t stopping government forces.
From The Jerusalem Post:
Western powers had no immediate confirmation they had launched fresh strikes on Tripoli in a campaign to target Libyan air defenses and enforce a no-fly zone.
A US general said, however, that attacks on Libya - launched in a UN mandated operation to stop attacks on civilians by Muammar Gaddafi's forces - were likely to slow in the coming days.
Despite the campaign, residents in two besieged rebel-held western cities, Misrata and Zintan, said they had been attacked by government troops, some of whom were expected to try to force their way into civilian areas to escape attack from the air. Rebels, who had been driven back towards their eastern Benghazi stronghold before the air attacks halted an advance by Gaddafi's forces, have so far done little to capitalize on the campaign, raising fears the war could grind to a stalemate.
Earlier Monday, Libyan officials claimed that over 64 civilians were killed thanks to western attacks. Though Western leaders denied such claims, Libyan state television reported early Tuesday that thousands of citizens were flocking into the streets of Tripoli to support their leader.