NBA All-Star Sports Spa Highlights
However, the the event held at Bliss Spa in the W Hotel in Hollywood turned out to be just a pre-cursor to the Friday and Saturday night parties filled with unfulfilled appearances and lackluster attendance.
Among “confirmed guests,” who did not attend the event were NFL, NBA and television stars. To our grave disappointment, Cincinnati Bengals' receiver Chad Ochocinco didn't make it. Neither did Dwight Freeney, LaMarr Woodley or former USC receivers Keary Colbert and Mike Williams.
We were also hoping to speak with some former Trojan basketball players, but Taj Gibson, Nick Young and Romeo Miller also did not show. A number of former NBA players, including nine-time All-Star Gary Payton, former Laker Rick Fox, enforcers Dale Davis and Charles Oakley and one-time dunk contestant Cedric Ceballos, were "confirmed guests" as well, but did not make an appearance.
On the celebrity side, Keri Hilson, Vivica A. Fox, Jazze Pha, Percy Miller and even mixed-martial arts star Quinton "Rampage" Jackson were also believed to be attending, yet never arrived.
While it wasn't the ideal way to kick off NBA All-Star weekend, there were still some interesting attendees, even if they weren't All-Stars and Pro Bowlers:
- Indiana Pacers’ guard Dahntay Jones, who said he was in town for NBA labor negotiations, told us he was looking forward to the slam dunk contest. He also predicted a JaVale McGee upset saying he always roots for the underdog.
- Keyon Dooling stopped in briefly but left shortly after the start of the event to attend a meeting for the NBA labor negotiations.
- Twin brothers Devin and Jason McCourty, cornerbacks for the New England Patriots and Tennessee Titans, respectively, spoke about watching the Super Bowl, how that experience has changed now that they are in the NFL and how comforting playing for experienced coaches as rookies. Jason also talked about the Titans new head coach Mike Munchak. Check out what they had to say:
- Recording artist Mario quickly walked the red carpet. No word yet on whether he plans to team up with Luigi to rescue a princess or two.
- Eva Marcille, from America's Next Top Model was extremely friendly. She talked to us briefly while she was talking with an Attitube representative about how to keep the water in the workout device bright pink.
- Baltimore Ravens' fullback Le'Ron McClain was our favorite interview of the event. The stocky, tough-nosed football player on the field had a big smile while he talked about a number of topics, including his first trip to Los Angeles, his favorite NFL player, Nick Saban and the Auburn/Alabama rivalry. Also watch the video to see if he still holds any animosity toward Dolphins' linebacker Channing Crowder.
According to the press release, VIP guests, which unfortunately did not include Neon Tommy staff, received a “Bliss Oxygen Blast,” and “Extreme Sports Massage.”
We did get an opportunity to go upstairs to check out the spa and the various gift tables that were set up providing perfume, cologne, gift bags, light workout equipment and a gourmet lunch, which included Thai food, decadent chocolate cupcakes from Swirls Desserts and lemonade-flavored liqueur.
Sign up for Neon Tommy's weekly e-mail newsletter.